"What happened to us?" asks Zwick’s directorial debut as a knowing, contemporary, indie throwback to 1980s talkies revisiting youth culture. The film heavily cribs on The Big Chill. Estranged college friends gather after years apart to care for their friend after a suicide attempt. The mostly likeable cast of Max Greenfield, Aubrey Plaza, Max Minghella, Maggie Grace, Jane Levy, and Nate Parker are unfortunately not very unlikable surrounding the titular Alex (Jason Ritter). Regardless, it’s a warm, well-acted film yet presents ridiculous relationship dynamics and drama stuffed into one strange weekend.
- 1) Aburi oshi sushi from Miku/Minami Restaurant.
- 2) Miso ramen from Hokkaido Ramen Santouka.
- 3) Steak frites from Bistro Wagon Rouge.
- 4) Snickerdoodle ice cream from Rain or Shine.
- 5) Currywurst from Bestie.
- 6) Lemon-truffle hashbrowns from Yolk’s Breakfast.
- 7) Fried chicken from L.A. Chicken.
- 8) Oxtail from Calabash Bistro.
- 9) Xiaolongbao pork soup dumplings from Dinesty.
- 10) Filet beef luc lac from Phnom Penh.
Producer/director Steven Soderbergh has crafted a marvellously shot and acted drama about the turn of the century dawn of modern medicine advancements in 1990 New York. Clive Owen’s Thackery is pulsating as a brilliant yet destructive surgeon on the cusp of innovation. The stylish Cinemax series sets a high bar for production detail and visual storytelling while using the conventions of the hospital drama superbly.